Monday, May 07, 2007

This Next Presidential Election 2/6: Direct and Dispose the Hearts of all Christian Rulers

By John Mark Reynolds
Scriptorium Daily

I hope to vote the way I pray, sensibly. Prayers are often for the ideal, but politics functions in the fallen world as it is.

My prayers inspire me to hope, but my vote must go beyond hope to deal with a fallen reality. I can pray for the not-yet, but must vote for the can-be-now.

It is this possible-now that guides my voting.

...

Rights come from the Creator, as the Declaration of Independence points out, and include the right to life, liberty, human flourishing (or happiness). Government should be limited as much as possible to the protection of these basic rights (to avoid as much as possible harming the conscience of people who dissent from truth).

Fortunately in most cases, there is little dissent about these basic human rights. In fact, if I were of a different religion or point of view it is perfectly possible (using natural law and reason) that I could come to many of the same conclusions. Oddly, this means a bad Christian could easily be a worse ruler than a good atheist.

...

A Christian naturally wishes to vote for someone who is also Christian (family ties!), but must vote for the person who has the ability to govern well. The most competent ruler is the most like Christ (as ruler), even if the candidate is an atheist. (more)