Monday, September 17, 2007

Counseling with Boethius

By Greg Peters
Scriptorium Daily

Could it be that when counseling pastorally that I too could (or should) bring Lady Philosophy into the session? Have my past efforts at pastoral counseling been too simplistic? Did I really bring long-term consolation to those whom I counseled? It is tempting to sit with grieving Christian parents who may have miscarried early in a pregnancy assuring them that “God has a plan for all events in our lives, including the tragedies.” The statement is theologically correct, but pastorally insensitive. Though the couple may be saying, “why did God do this to us?,” they are likely asking a deeper question, “why do my friends who aren’t serving God having healthy children while I am unable to bring a child to birth?” A robust theological discussion of God’s agency in all of life’s events would be the last thing that this couple probably wants to hear. Rather, like Boethius they may find consolation in hearing that true living comes from participation in God. Though the impious may seem happy, true happiness is only found in God. These are the truths that Lady Philosophy was able to help Boethius see and understand, thus changing his perspective on why he was imprisoned and why he would ultimately be martyred. It brought him much-needed consolation. For me, Boethius’ Consolation of Philosophy is a reminder that only Truth brings lasting consolation. Anything else will only be a Band-Aid on a gushing wound. My desire as a pastoral counselor must be to bring true consolation. Thus, my role is akin to that of Lady Philosophy — I have the words of wisdom, I must impart them in such a way as to bring deep and abiding consolation. (more)